January 8, 2006

It makes me so upset to see babies/children sitting in the smoking section or riding in the car with a smoker. I just do not get it. I knew this was unhealthy, but I found a few websites that stated some facts. After reading this and this, my heart broke . I knew second hand smoke was bad, but reading that made it so real.
"Second-hand smoke is more dangerous than directly inhaled smoke, and children are exposed to it every day."
That
quote really says it all. People are causing their children more health problems than themselves, but they just keep on smoking around them. I don't understand!!
When I was home a few months ago my mom and I were watching old videos from family gatherings. I could not believe that people were sitting around, smoking in the house. Like it was not a big deal.
I was home a few weeks before Christmas this year. I am from a small town (for those of you who don't know.) I decided to go to a local restaurant and pick up some food "to go." As I sat there waiting on my meal, an ambulance employee sat down right beside me and lit up. I was thinking, "I know she didn't." So I got up and moved, hoping she understood why I moved. Not that I just didn't want to sit by her. I looked around the room and there were several other people smoking!! What the heck is wrong with you people??!!! Just because you want to fill your lungs with smoke doesn't mean everyone around you wants to!!! This is not a big or well ventilated restaurant either.
I guess someone needs to mail out a message to these people. Since they obviously don't watch TV or get on the computer. Or they just don't care!! STOP SMOKING AROUND PEOPLE!!! Your second hand smoke is more harmful to others than yourself!!!

For the record---Yes, I used to smoke. But will not smoke again. I have other people to think about and will not pick the habit up, ever!
Being pregnant has made me realize so much about smoking. I have been so limited as to who I visit and where I go. I will not be around smoke and neither will my baby. So many people smoke in my life. It makes me so sad.
How many family members and friends have to pass for us to realize, it is time to quit?

6 comments:

tara said...

so true! in the last few years, i've almost lost two of my grandparents. luckily they both are still alive and after one had a stroke, and one had bypass surgery... they both stopped! i was shocked to read that smoking is still allowed in restaurants? i just thought it was against the law to smoke in a public restaurant everywhere, it is here in Maryland. so grateful!

Anisa said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! bert's parents refuse to smoke outside when his daughter visits them and she has a chronic cough. she's always sick. we are trying to put our foot down, because this is serious stuff! thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

You GO GIRL!!! I smoked for years, even after Zack was born. Ok so yeah I was stupid!! But I quit. On Zack's first day of school he threw my cigs in the trash can outside, and I have never smoked a cig since that day.

I do not allow anyone to smoke around my kids, including my mother. I'm so proud of you for standing up for your beliefs, especially on such a touchy subject.

fairygirl701 said...

OOO this is a big pet-peeve of mine too. My niece (17 yrs old & pregnant) was getting ready for her wedding in a tiny, barely fit 3 people bathroom. I came in to help her and found the person doing her hair and her maid of honor SMOKING!! HEL-LO she is PREGNANT people!!! It was sooo smokey in their I was about to choke. #1 I wouldn't want someone smoking while styling my hair, esepcially for my wedding! The maid was at least a kid too, but the hairstylist knew better. I'm telling you it crawled all over me.

Not to mention how annoyed I am by pregnant women smoking. One of the nurses had alot of trouble having a child (several miscarriages) and STILL smoked during the whole pregnancy. When her baby was small she said, "well I knew it would be b/c I smoked the whole time." Does that mean it is okay?? Is it worth the risk?? Believe me it's not!

Do you know in California it is against the law for people to smoke in the car with a child? Or smoke in a club.

Melanie said...

Oh Chris,I can remember riding in the car with Grandpa Travis..Grandma, Mal, and myself. We would be riding down the road and Grandpa would light up and NEVER ROLL THE DANG WINDOW DOWN!!! Oh my Gosh! I can remember feeling like I was "smuffocatin'" (as I used to say)!HA!

Chris Streeter Davis said...

Thanks for the comments. :) I feel very strongly about this and it is not the easiest thing to talk about. It is ironic that some people had nothing to say about this subject...but I am sure they read it. :)