January 1, 2006

Rules...

I just found out some information from the hospital where I will be having Brynn Harper. It has been worrying me since I found out. It is a good rule, however I don't want anyone to get their feelings hurt. Especially any of the precious children in my life.
No children can be in my room under the age of 12. I can only have 3 people in my room at a time during labor. When delivery comes, only 2. People can not group up outside my door, they have to wait in the waiting area. Those are the hospital rules.
My only rule is, don't come if you are sick.
I hope everyone understands, I feel so much better after getting that off my chest. :) I hope everyone had a great New Years Eve!! We did, I will post pictures later. :)

11 comments:

ginger said...

Those rules, although restrictive, are sensible for the health of your sweet new baby. I'm sure everyone will understand and will enjoy seeing her when the hospital says it is okay.

Happy New Year!!

tara said...

Chris, i completly agree with ginger. your family & friends want only the safest environment for baby Brynn. don't be afraid to limit some visits at home too. you both will need some time to adjust and rest!! those first days are so magical, yet fade so fast. you're going to be a great mommy! just look at those protective mama bear skills at work already!!! ;)
take care!-tara

Melanie said...

I love it! The hospital rules sound pretty much standard..but sometimes they bend those rules and you wish they wouldn't. I made the nurses the bad guys when I had my kids and made them do the dirty work of, "Sorry, but it's hospital policy that...blah, blah, blah." Ha! I'm all for friends and family and I know they just want to be there for the big moment, but when you're in big time labor, you really don't feel much like chit-chatting aaannndd sometimes you don't even want anyone even looking at you. When I was in labor with Cade, I had a full audience and I just turned on my CD player, closed my eyes and lost myself in the music. (nobody even cared) I don't know, I just kind of felt like I was the newest side-show...everybody staring or wincing at any little movement I made. Gosh! And when Ty was born, I thought my mother-in-law was just going to stay in there the whole time, sipping coffee in the corner, even though the nurses had asked her to leave 3 times. Hello! I'm exposed here in my full glory and she's casually drinking coffee in the corner with a birds eye view! Anyway, enough venting.
Smart girl,for giving the heads up before-hand! Oh and you'll learn this too, but really be a stickler about people washing their hands before holding Brynn for quite awhile.
Love you soo much!

Chris Streeter Davis said...

Thanks for all of the support girls! I am so relieved. I have been so worried about hurting feelings, but I don't want a sick newborn.
I will stock up on the alcohol hand sanitizer and already have lots of soap! :)
Melanie---love the story, I can't believe your mother-in-law just sat there. I would have had to speak up, dang.

Cara said...

I think that is the general rules of all hospitals.. But I know that in Monroe, it kind of depends on the nurse that you have.. I remember I had one that was really nice and let me continue to drink my Dr. Pepper during labor, (because water gave me horrible heartburn).And then there was one that had a hissy fit about it.. You will glad about the limited amount of people, they will understand.. I agree about the kids.. Some parents don't think twice about bringing their snot nosed kids around. I didn't like for kids to be around Dawson for about the first 3 months.. I do however remember one of the nurses telling me that the baby continues to carry his/her mother's immunity for the first 2 weeks.. We lived by the "please go and wash your hands with the dial soap in the bathroom" routine.. I don't think anyone will have their feelings hurt.. If they do... Oh well, she is going to be YOUR baby and she can't speak for herself.. Therefore she needs you to do that for her.. And if you don't speak up for her, who will? I wish you all the best of luck..
PS. Pack lots of hard candy.. I don't think I could have made it through without that.. And chapstick... sorry for the long spill!!:)

fairygirl701 said...

Don't be afraid to tell them girl! Or at least do like DD said and let the nurses be the bad guys. Honestly, I didn't want anybody looking at me until I had my epidural--then all was okay.

Drywall Mom said...

When I had Jocelyne, that was the same rule at the hostpital but they made an exception for my mother in law since it was so important. You might be able to do that if you get a nice nurse staff. Good luck.

j.c. said...

I am glad that I know so I didn't bring my Lainee with me when I come. I wouldn't think that kids carry anymore germs than grown ups unless the parents don't teach their kids how to wash their hands and such. I don't really remember any "rules" when I had my children. I think that I was too busy pushing! About all the germy stuff, I understand. I didn't take my children anywhere outside of my home and dr. visits for the first couple of months.

Anisa said...

great rules! i never understood when people deliver and there are 15 people in the room video taping the whole thing...this is a very special time for you, and should be treated with much respect! :)

Anonymous said...

Although the "rules" aren't exactly how you planned on doing things everyone will be just as excited to be a part of such an amazing experience. And if your anything like me.... everyone in the hospital will be able to draw a mental picture of the whole thing based on the god awful sounds coming from the room.

Chris Streeter Davis said...

The "rules" are fine by me. Whatever I can do to help my baby be healthy.
I don't see a problem with Lainee coming. As long as she isn't sick-- and that goes for anyone. I love my Lainee. There will be plenty of people in the waiting room to sit with her while you come in to see me. She can look at Brynn Harper through the window. When we go home, she can wash her hands and see her all she wants. :)