November 19, 2005

Fruit

I love fruit and have been eating a lot of it lately. I try to keep it here so I don't eat any junk. Sometimes that doesn't work and I have to have some chocolate ice cream. :) I have always washed my fruit and vegetables with soap before I serve/eat them. I have always wondered if anyone else did this. I have not seen a lot of other people do it. My mom was here last week and I told her why I did it. For her to say, "I have never thought of it like that," I knew it was a great idea! Because my mom knows everything about cooking and preparing food. She is mom, she knows it all. :)
So I tell my mother why I do this.
First of all, people touch and sneeze and breathe on the fruit all day long. When you wash your hands, don't you use soap? I do most of my grocery shopping at our super Wal-mart, it is just easier because I always need a non-food item. I shop at Kroger when I only need food, I love Kroger!
While shopping in Wal-mart one day, (Jennifer may have been with me) I noticed there were birds in the store. They had nets up to catch the birds...right above all of the produce. (I am sure this is where the birds spend most of their time) I already washed my fruit with soap...this justified my craziness! When the store isn't that busy, I am sure the birds that didn't fly through the net, fly down and grab a bite. This just grosses me out!! Birds have diseases!!! Wash your fruit and vegetables with soap!! It isn't gross, just rinse until the soap is gone. I bet you all look at the ceiling when you shop for produce now... :)

9 comments:

Shannon said...

We got in the habit of washing our fruit and veggies in baking soda and warm water, it really works! I've heard of people using bleach and water (diluted, of course!) No thank you!

Anisa said...

i've always just washed my fruits and veggies in water, but you make a great point!!

Ex-playgroup mommy said...

Okay I just rinse my fruit off with water but now I'm totally grossed out. But there really shouldn't be birds in any store, let alone a food store!

tara said...

we will for sure be washing with soap from now on. i don't know why i haven't thought of that before! thanks a bunch, my baby boy thanks you too! :) i just discovered your blog tonight, congrats on your baby girl. btw, i *love* her name!! when are you due? our son greyson was born on jan. 17, 2005.-Tara

Anonymous said...

ha! we're lucky if we wash our fruit at all. i know . . . .. gross, eh? but, none of us ever get sick either! i am in love with lysol wipes though. you could eat off my toilet, i swear. eww. nevermind.

fairygirl701 said...

EOW!! I have seen those birds in the store before but I never thought about them getting near the fruit YEOCH! I have always washed my fruit w/water now I will think about using the soap too. I do know somebody who just eats the fruit w/o washing at all yuck

j.c. said...

That is so gross! I guess I need to start looking up more in the stores.

Jennifer said...

YES, that was me with you. It was great to see you on Saturday. Thank you.

Chris Streeter Davis said...

Thanks for the comments! Tara- I am due Jan. 22. :)