August 29, 2005

Monday night Bunko

I went to bunko tonight, it was great. Only we didn't even play, we just talked and exchanged gifts. :) We used to play for $, but the gift thing is so much fun.
There are several school teachers that attend and I learned some interesting things tonight. Things that were very frightening. Some things I don't even want to post b/c I wouldn't want to give kids any ideas. I was just in awe. Things kids are saying and doing. Things I didn't even know about, much less do at their age.
For instance; girls (Ginger, does that semicolon go there?) wearing certain colored bracelets that mean they like to perform certain things. OH MY LORD! You have got to be kidding me. Yes, you read it right. Perform. We are talking 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.


I wasn't going to go here, but I am just so shocked. I feel the need to share. The other thing was 4th and 5th grade girls giving B.J.'s. I quote the teachers tonight, "...students are saying that is the thing to do." Say what????? One of them said a student was caught at her school. This just freaks me out.

Why does it seem that things are just not taken seriously anymore? Are there not sex ed. classes taught anymore? With all of the STD pictures that scare the crap out of kids? It scared me! What about drug pictures of Meth users before and after? Those are some pretty awful things to see. Their teeth and scratched up faces are pretty nasty. I will be sure to show all of these things to my child. I don't want to shelter her at all. She needs to know about this stuff. She will know God and what is right from wrong. She will also get her little butt spanked when she needs it. That is what my parents did for me and I think I turned out pretty good. (I probably didn't get spanked enough) :) Thank you mom and dad for everything. I don't think I can say that enough.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

yeah, trying having a 13 year old sister and worrying to death about what she's being exposed to.

i thought it was bad when we were in high school!?!?!

Anonymous said...

I knew about the bracelets from Jason's twin cousins. I also was taken back. I do have a daughter that hears "sexy" more than once on television shows and now says it from time to time. I have become alot more aware of things that are parents responsibility and that is--always be involved in your children! Whether it is sitting in the floor watching them play barbie dolls so you can hear how they talk to the barbies, or when they are around other friends hang out with them. You don't have to give your kids all the freedom in the world, sometimes just enough freedom is too much. I don't want to smother my children, but I don't want someone else ALWAYS teaching my children something when it CAN be me. I also pray that when something that is questionable for my children, that they will question it. I pray that the Lord is guiding them daily and so I don't worry. Times are different.

Jennifer said...

this is off the subject but i just saw that pic of us in New Orleans with Staci last year, gosh, that makes me sad.

Also sad about the young kids these days. Always teach your kids first, but if you don't someone else will and may not be what you would like them to know. Horrible. I wonder what these childrens' parents think???

Anonymous said...

every time i hear stories like this i think, "now, how do i keep penn from doing that?"

i was going to post this on my blog, but i'll share here. there are kids penn plays with on a regular basis that are 7-8 years old. last year? sweet kids that gave penn lots of attention. this year? every other word out of their mouth is a curse word! and they're mean! it's the same at all the parks now for us with this age group. so much cursing and sexual references.

Chris Streeter Davis said...

Jenn--I know, New Orleans looks horrible. As other cities do also, it is so sad. I pray for all of those families.

Shannon said...

Why not teach these kids how to respect their bodies (and others). That sex is a gift from God and is a celebration of love between a husband and a wife. That their bodies belong to them and to God until they are married. There is nothing wrong with celiblacy and staying a virgin until you wedding night. This is my prayer for my children. I only wish I had this teaching in my upbringing. It makes me sad that these kids feel they need this at such a young age. I will pray for them to see themselves as God sees them, fearfully and wonderfully made. In His image. This is my prayer to my own children and the friends they will have over the years to come.

Ex-playgroup mommy said...

Gosh, I didn't even think about any of that "stuff" until at least high school. On another note: what kind of gifts do you do for Bunco? I play w/ a group and we pay $10 and then spilt it among several winners....

Great Blog -- I've linked you on both of mine!

fairygirl701 said...

I KNOW! My niece was probably 11 and came home saying a girl her age was making "flyers" and passing them out on the bus saying "BJ's=$.50" That is insane!

Also, I hear alot of teenage girls being "bisexual" because they think that is what guy's want. That was UNHEARD of back when I was in school!