August 26, 2005

Friday's FYI

I have learned so much at my current job and I want to spread the word. There are obviously many parents that don't know a lot of this. It amazed me at how much I didn't know.

1. Do not let your baby/toddler go to bed with anything except water. If they have to go to sleep with milk or juice, wipe their teeth off after they fall asleep. There are so many babies and toddlers I see every day that have cavities on there upper front teeth. (The tongue blocks the bottom teeth when they suck)

2. If your child has teeth, they need to be brushed, every day!!!!!!!!! Kids that are in school need to brush morning and night. If they are at home with you, brush them three times a day. Make sure their teeth are brushed close to the gum line. If the gums are puffy and bleed, you haven't been brushing good enough. The gums are inflamed due to all of the plaque built up on them. If your child has a blister or puss pocket on their gums, they might have an abscessed tooth. The side of their face may be swollen. This is very painful and dangerous to your child----go to the dentist. They need antibiotics!!!!

3. Parents need to go behind their children's brushing until they can write in cursive. Children do not have the manual dexterity to brush good enough until then.

4. It is good for your baby to start seeing the dentist 6 months after they have their first tooth.

5. Use children's toothpaste until your child can spit well. If you have city water, it has fluoride in it. Children do not need to use adult toothpaste, the fluoride in it can cause white spots on baby and permanent teeth. Fluoride is meant to sit on the teeth, not to be swallowed.

That is all I can think of for now. I work for 2 wonderful Pediatric dentists and will bring my baby to them one day. They are great! One of the great things about them is parents can come back! When children come for the first time, they want their mommy and daddy with them. (sometimes grandma & grandpa too!!!) That is fine at our office. We like to meet mom and dad. When a child comes back for their crown, filling etc. Mom can stand in the hall. Sometimes mom is needed to help us, sometimes she makes it worse. We never make parents stay in the waiting room, that is just cruel. But, it is great for your child to listen to us and pay attention to what we tell them. Will keep updating if I think of more info. Have a great weekend. :) Brush, Brush, Brush!!

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks so much! This is great! What about flossing for little ones, how often? We go to pediatric dentist and we all love him, and the assistants, too!

Chris Streeter Davis said...

Shannon-- Duh, where is my brain? Flossing every night after brushing is great. We have little "flossers" that have Princesses and Buzz lightyear on them. They make it so much easier to floss.
Heidi-- that is so funny! It is wonderful that they love to brush their teeth. It makes it so much easier when mommy makes brushing fun. :)

Shannon said...

My kids have this "Y" shaped plastic flossing helper that they use, we just need to floss more often! :( Mom and dad aren't the greatest examples in that area! Need to work on it! Thank, again!

Anisa said...

chris, i used to work for an orthodontist and these are excellent tips. i didn't know you needed to go behind them until they can write in cursive! what great tips. :)

fairygirl701 said...

Great tips! I have one that is not about teeth, but very important.

DO NOT let your newborn near anyone who has a cold sore. If the mother has never had a cold sore, the infant does not have an immunity to herpes. While cold sores are just an annoyance to adults they are DEADLY to babies. When mia died, a lady came to talk to me and this is what killed her baby--there is no cure!!! Just a well-wishing friend unknowingly gave her baby a deadly virus, and she didn't even kiss her just talked above her crib!!!!

Spread the warning!!!!!

Chris Streeter Davis said...

Thanks Stephanie, that is good to know! That is very scary and I have never heard of a situation like that. I get fever blisters, but haven't had one while I have been pregnant. I will have to ask my Dr. about that...

ginger said...

My mom would love this post, Chris! I've heard her lectures for years! :) Now I'm so glad because it paid off for me and for Jane Claire. So many children have to get dental work, but Jane Claire's teeth have stayed healthy! She will have to have braces, though. Can't help that one! :)

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! You just made a dental hygienist's day. These are GREAT TIPS! I think that new mother's should receive a hand out about their child's teeth before they leave the hospital. We are saving the world...one tooth at a time ;)

fairygirl701 said...

If you have had a cold sore, there is nothing to worry about as you will pass on the immunity to your baby. If someone has never had one, their baby could be at extreme risk.