March 19, 2006

AAAAAAHHHHHHH

We had the biggest scare of our lives the other day. (This is going to be the short version of the story because she will be waking up any minute...)
Brynn had a formula bottle...an hour later she threw it up. I breastfed her...Aaron brought her in the kitchen and said, "look at her!!!" She was covered from head to toe with a red, raised rash. Her ears were red and very swollen. Mom was here thank God and she agreed, "let's go to the ER!" We head out, grabbing stuff and headed for the door. On the way there, she threw up again. I turned my hazards on and got us there very quickly. I have never been so scared in all of my life. But I kept it together, somehow.
After spending 8 hours in the ER, we went home with a bottle of Benadryl. All the Dr. told us was, "I called her Dr. and he said to be there first thing in the morning." When the ER Dr. came in to see us the first time he thought she might have a virus. 4 hours later, he thought she might have had an allergic reaction to something. For 2 reasons. 1 the blood work and 2 her ears and rash got better on their own. This scares me to death!! My baby sat in that ER room for 8 hours and they did nothing to ease her. Her throat could have swollen up from an allergic reaction, I was so worried!!! Thank God she wasn't screaming her head off, but she was swollen, red and EMPTY!!! After 3 attempts to get blood, (and I don't mean a prick on the finger) a catheter, (for a urine specimen) and a chest/stomach x-ray my baby was exhausted. Her granny, momma and daddy were heart broken. We had to ask them to bring us some pedialyte because I couldn't feed her. She kept that down and has been fine ever since.
We had to take her to her Dr. the next morning. 3 more attempts to get more blood!!!!!!! He wanted to check to see what she is allergic to. We should find out tomorrow. I really think she is allergic to milk. But, it could have been something I ate. We will see. I have stopped eating eggs, milk, nuts and wheat. Everyone please pray for our little angel.
What makes me so mad is I used to work at that hospital and know it doesn't take that long to get those results back. I have also worked in ER at another hospital and never saw anyone stay that long. Especially someone with a 6 week old. They were very unattentive and I am very unhappy.

6 comments:

Reality Chick said...

I am so glad that everything is okay with tootie may...

Have you gotten the results from the allergy tests yet? Just wondering...I love y'all and miss you ;)

Shannon said...

We will pray for her, and keep us updated! Zack was two weeks old and had a very high fever, we went to the ER and they admitted us. Pete had to stay home with the other kids and I was alone! UGH! They took blood, urine and did a spinal tap. I thought I was going to lose it! All was fine, but it wasn't very easy! Glad she is home and hugs to all!

Lindsay said...

oh my gosh!!! that's horrible!!! i hope baby brynn is feeling better and that you get those results back pronto!

Ex-playgroup mommy said...

Oh gosh that is awful! 8 hours is 7 hours too long for a newborn baby to be there!! I agree with Catrina -- you need to complain! Poor little Brynn! We will be praying for her! I hope you are doing okay!

Marybeth said...

There's nothing like a parent's agony when their baby is sick. I'm glad she's feeling better. Take care.

Capt. C said...

I do remember you. My wife went to a very large school (outside of Houston,TX) she didn't know all of classmates. I have to say that is an advantage to going to a small school. Not only did I know all of my classmates, I knew almost all the students ahead of me and below me.

About your baby - I totally understand that feeling of helplessness. We experience that for 9 days with my little boy. I was so angry. I felt like because I was in the medical field that the nurses where trying to control me. I couldn't do anything. I was so mad. So, I totally understand. I hope all is well. Talk to you later.