May 28, 2005

How many ambulances are in your town?

I have been surrounded by so much love and happiness lately that I forgot about something that really, really irritated me. This past week my mom let me know that my great-grandmother was in the hospital. She proceded to tell me that my great aunt and great uncle had to pick her up and load her into the truck to take her to the hospital. When my aunt called 911 they asked her, "if this was really an emergency b/c they didn't have an ambulance." Hmm...let's see, my great grandmother can't move, she is running high fever and she is 89 years old. It sounds like a freaking emergency to me! I just do not understand.
I wish people would take a yearly ambulance fee a little more seriously. If more people did, maybe they could afford more ambulance trucks. It just breaks my heart to think about my precious aunt and uncle trying to load my great grandmother by themselves.
People do not think about the importance of supporting one of the most needed services in all of our lives. You never think about things like this until you are in this situation. Don't get me wrong, I am still very upset b/c of what happened. (rather what didn't happen) When I have ever had to call 911, it never occured to me they might say, "we can't help you." That is a scary thought. I will continue to pray for all of my family. Hopefully we won't have to dial 911 again.

2 comments:

ginger said...

That is terrible! Your poor great grandmother! I hope she is doing better now.

Jennifer said...

I understand also. When I had my wreck on University, they (911) put me on hold and it took the police man 45 minutes to get there. I am glad no one was hurt.